Pride may be "in", but it is still a SIN!




Pride may be "in" but it is still a sin.  :-)  Not my words, I just read that online somewhere.  It is true though.  Most of us struggle with some level of pride too.  I know I do.  There is that that I can see, acknowledge and repent of.  I suspect I have even more that I do not see.

I will never forget my precious Papaw Dillow looking at me as a teenager and saying he was not proud of my mother.  It was in response to something I had said.  I tilted my head sideways and was pretty confused.  I thought maybe he was just teasing.  I knew he adored my Mother and was as pleased as any father.  He said he didn't like that expression "I'm proud of you".

He talked about how while we may be pleased with some manner of people or ourselves, we shouldn't be prideful in anything or anyone.  At the time I thought it was silliness, I shamefully admit.  I kept thinking it was just an expression.  I didn't fully realize the wisdom he had and was trying to impart to my thick skull.  I so miss him here on this Earth.  He is in a far better place though.  He impacted me on several vital faith elements while he was here.  His being a 'stickler' about the pride issue, I will never forget.  Sometimes I slip and use that expression, then I bite my tongue and remember my Papaw's wise words.

Pride, now matter how culturally popular...is still sinful and a mindset we must avoid.  ESPECIALLY if it is any form of personal pride.  Humility and meekness are the character traits that the Bible teaches.  I pray God opens all of our eyes, that we may repent of pride.  Pride may seem innocent, but it will keep us from repentance.  

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction,
    a haughty spirit before a fall.

Comments