The Sin of Gluttony

Something many of you know I struggle greatly with.  Gluttony.  It is evil and I wish nothing more than to forever purge myself above it.  Food has been an idol and a vicious thorn in my flesh.

Yes, I do have a thyroid issue.  That has it's effect.  In changing meds a while back, I really shot myself in the foot and regained a lot.  I am back on the original med now, so hopefully it can help a bit as it kicks in.  However, I can not blame my morbid obesity on meds and hormones alone.

The purpose of this post is to talk about the sin aspect.  There is no doubt that pleasing my flesh has been a major source of a problem area in my life.  I am an emotional eater.  I am a bored eater.  I eat for celebrations.  I have ate because I absolutely love the taste, smell, and textures of food.  Make no mistake about it, I have an issue with sinful eating.  Enjoying and thanking God for each bite of food is certainly okay and desired.  Destroying one's temple with sinful overeating is not okay.  You might be like me and VERY overweight.  You might even be at an ideal weight, but knowing full well you have an issue of an inappropriate use of food.  You might even be an under eater.  God has a lot of scriptures on this topic.  I will post some below.

I am still learning a lot about myself each day.  One thing I wanted to share for those of you who are like me and have struggled with this thorn in the flesh.  There is an online free Bible course on the sin of gluttony.  Setting Captives Free has several courses on multiple topics.  The one about gluttony is called the Lord's Table.  I am no more than a few days in and sometimes I miss a day here and there.  But I will say, it is really starting to change my thought process the more I study and think about it all.  I have known it was sin for a long time, but there have still been aspects of my thinking that have had to change.

I encourage you to join me there and go through the study if you struggle with this as I do.  Your issue may be something else they have covered as well.  Check them out and pray about it.  No matter what, don't put off the process of dying to the flesh.  Don't let sin have control.  Drink of the LIVING WATER and not of sin.

http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com/

Philippians Chapter 3  - 18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, [that they are] the enemies of the cross of Christ:  19 Whose end [is] destruction, whose God [is their] belly, and [whose] glory [is] in their shame, who mind earthly things.) 
 
1 Corinthians Chapter 9 - 24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.  25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they [do it] to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.  26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring [it] into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
 
Philippians 3:19 - Whose end [is] destruction, whose God [is their] belly, and [whose] glory [is] in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
 
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
 
Proverbs 23:21 - For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe [a man] with rags.
 
1 Peter 5:8 - Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
 
Proverbs 23:2 - And put a knife to thy throat, if thou [be] a man given to appetite.
 
Job Chapter 23 -10 But he knoweth the way that I take: [when] he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.  11 My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined.  12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary [food].

Comments